Thursday, June 9, 2011

Inspiration Thursday: Kitchens

Happy Thursday Everyone,

First off, today is this guy's third birthday.  Crazy.  He seriously needs to stop getting cuter.  These were pictures from October.  Here's one of his summer buzz that Grandpa gave him.  So cute. 


New buzz cut. (and no, he doesn't know how to play)








Time again for another inspiration prompt from Gussy Sews.  This week the topic is kitchens.  What do you like about your kitchen, what do you want your to look like. What inspires you about your kitchen?

The first thing I thought of  when I read the prompt is LOVE.  The kitchen really the heart of the home.  So much of what we do as moms and wives starts in the kitchen.  And I'm not just talking food, although food is a wonderful thing. 

Welcoming...
  In our home, we enter through the garage and walk through a small hallway and enter the kitchen and breakfast area.  The floor plan is very open, but the kitchen is the first thing you see.  The loved ones who walk in should feel welcomed, loved, and thought of. 

There are so many little gifts from the heart...so many ways to bless your family in the way you keep your home...or on the topic of this post...your kitchen. 

Cozy...
Light a yummy smelling candle, play some nice music. One of the first things I do in the morning is walk into the kitchen and light a candle.  When I'm ready to get some work done, I put on some music. Usually I'll play some 40's music like Glenn Miller.  After summer it's Christmas and Bing Crosby.  I love Christmas music.  How can you get happier than Christmas?  Ok...I'll admit it.  The kids and I put on the Charlie Brown Christmas CD yesterday and it just helped put me in a great mood. 

My favorite bowl

Beautiful...
Use the pretty dishes you have.  I love to collect vintage dishes. The ones I have are either from my Grandma or from a thrift store.  What I don't want are cupboards full of things we never use.  Then it's just stuff that takes up space.  Even when decorating, I try only to have things that are useful or have sentimental value to me. My favorite bowl cost $2 at a thrift store.  It is always filled with fruit for the kids or used as a serving bowl when we have a big family dinner.  Use the beautiful things you have!  It makes the ordinary feel special...because it is.  Celebrate the ordinary things in life. 

The kids use the cow to pour milk on their cereal every morning.  Love the cow!


Clean...
When the kitchen....or any area of your home...is uncluttered there's just a better sense of calm.  I want my home to be a place my family can relax, feel comforted from the world.  I try hard to keep clutter out of the kitchen.  It is also the first and last place I clean.  It's hard for us because the counters tend to be where we drop things in our hands.  The newspaper, crayons and color books, keys, sunglasses, plan books, etc.  This is something I have to stay on top of or it can feel overwhelming to me.  It feels good to go to bed at night with a clean kitchen.  The counters are cleared and the kitchen table is ready for breakfast. 
Totally not my kitchen, but I'm going to look for an 'eat' sign like this one.

This is not my kitchen eitherLove the floor. Thinking of painting it on canvas for a rug in the craft room.  Love the stool.  Love how there's a lot of  stuff in this room but it's not cluttered looking at all.

These two images are from Hooked on Houses.  If I could combine them, I'd have the perfect kitchen.  It is TOTALLY not what I have now.  I love my kitchen, but if I were dreaming....this would be it.

Place for fun and safe experimentation...
Let the kids play.  Let them help you cook.  There isn't a mess that you can't clean up later.  They get messy.  But messy is fun and you can always take out the vacuum later.  I always tell my kids "no biggie".  They aren't allowed to make a mess on purpose, but the messes that come from helping and learning are fine and even help make great memories.  Flour covered faces, frosting hands...next year they will be more careful and your memories will be different.    Have fun with them and relax. 

What do you love about your kitchen?  What do you want it to be?  I know there are only 4 of you reading this, but play along anyway :)

Have a blessed day and go celebrate the small stuff!

8 comments:

  1. I think I need a cow of my own now...that is the cutest cow ever...great pic. Happy Birthday Sweet Noah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was lovely! We used to have a darling cow like that and I dearly miss it! Your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cow is probably my favorite thing ever, haha. I also love that Eat sign - great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little boy! (Happy belated b-day!)

    That first photo you posted (the one with the Eat sign) is my inspiration for the kitchen I hope to have someday. I saw it originally on Meadowbrook Farm blog and made a bunch myself and sold them/gave them as gifts. Here's a link on my blog to how mine turned out:
    http://retrofarmwife.blogspot.com/2010/07/eat.html

    I agree with you about how I want my kitchen to feel when others are there. For right now, I don't like our kitchen, but I'm not letting it get me down. I've fixed it up nice and welcoming with some pretty things and someday we'll paint the cabinets and get new flooring, etc. In the mean time, we're making plenty of time for family and friends and enjoying life without always having to be working on a project! :D

    I like candles when it's chilly outside and music always! Even Christmas tunes way before Christmas time!

    We are so on the same page with pretty dishes! I've been doing the same as you-using cute ones I buy at the thrift stores, or ones given to me as gifts. I like using the special things for everyday, because every day IS special!

    Your cow creamer is "udderly" cute! : ) I ought to pick one up!

    Great post!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cow was at Target this spring and didn't cost too much. I just love it! Her name is Bessie. It makes breakfast fun for the kids and they like to do some things themselves.
    Angela- Thanks! I think we're on the same page in a lot of ways. Your 'eat' sign turned out great! I may have to give it a shot. It would look pretty neat.

    I love the Simplify blog. You're right, great color combinations. That's the direction I'm going in my house....which is completely opposite of the lodge style we had, so it's taking a while to come together. It will happen some day. Little by little, right?

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, sweet little boy!!! Buzz cuts are great for summer!!!

    I just came over from my SIL's blog Retro Farm Wife... I was one of the lucky ones to receive an "EAT" sign gift and I LOVE it! My SIL is the greatest BTW!!!

    I love these pictures too!!! I have seen the first one before, but not the second... Love the chandelier.

    I agree with everything you say... I love to light a candle too and I chuckled at what you said regarding the Charlie Brown Christmas CD, we just played ours a week ago too. It is so happy and relaxing. One of our family favorites!

    HOME does not have to be perfect, it is the atmosphere that you create within your house that makes it a home. :-)

    I agree with keeping up with the mail, and crayons, and Sunday school papers, and dirty dishes... if there is too much setting out it starts to become uneasy in the home! Dishes are always done at night... We are morning people and I love to wake up in the morning and see the sun shining in the window and start out fresh.

    Last but not least and in agreement with what everyone else was saying... WHAT A CUTE COW!!

    I have one just like it, except it does not have the slight amount on color on the mouth and ears, it is just all white. He is sitting in my kitchen, but now I think he will be sitting on the breakfast table in the morning! :-)

    Love your blog, so glad to have found it!

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI :) :) I'm visiting from The Retro Farmwife blog.. You're blog is so cute I decided to follow it, too :) :) I am LOVING all the vintage cuteness :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! I love those kitchen pics! I want, I want!

    And I love the cow creamer. I had one. Never used it, but it sat on my counter. It's been since lost in a move.

    Stopping by from Gussy Sews! www.minimalmom.net

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!