Monday, July 11, 2011

Is it too Early for Pumpkin?


Hey there ladies!  Is anyone else longing for cooler weather and the beautiful colors of fall?  I'm trying to enjoy the season we're in, but it is a little warmer than I care for.  It's just plain HOT!  And this North Dakota girl's hair just doesn't look right in this humid Alabama weather! While I would love to feel the cool breeze of fall on my face, I have to remind myself to look at the blessings of summer before the pass by unnoticed.  Summer will be over before you know it, the kids will be back in school and cooler weather will be upon us.  Don't let these days go by without taking the time to make some great memories with your loved ones. 


There is work I can do in preparation for autumn.  I can start canning some of the delicious veggies and fruit from our garden.  We can continue catching up on family time while the kids are out of school. I can work on some inside projects while we have a flexible schedule and don't go out much in the afternoon.  I can continue decluttering. I was inspired by Aunt Ruthie at the Sugar Pie Farmhouse to start preparing for fall.  When I take out my bins of decorations, I want a clean house to work with. I can enjoy the rest of the season we are in while preparing for the next.  If we simply long for tomorrow, we'll miss the blessings of today.


With fall on my mind, I wanted to share a couple of recipes that my family loves all year round.  Why not take some of the recipes you like from other seasons and make them another time of year?  It makes a normal day seem special. 


Our kids love anything with pumpkin in it.  We haven't found a recipe that they don't like, so these are in our 'anytime of year' collection. 




Pumpkin Cupcakes with Whipped Cream
I found this recipe at Food.com a few years back. I added the whipped cream topping in effort to change the typical frosting for something lighter for the kids.  I use Cool Whip Lite.


1 spice cake mix (2 layer size)
1 15 oz can pumpkin
3 eggs
1/3 c vegetable oil
1/3 c water
Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into 24 (regular sized) lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for big cupcakes or 12-13 for the mini cupcakes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely before adding Cool Whip.   Note:  I like to use my mini muffin tin. After baking, freeze some for another time. (No Cool Whip on those, of course)



Pumpkin Pancakes
These are the only pancakes we eat at our house.  They are that good.
I have been making these for a couple of years and I cannot find the recipe again. If this is your recipe, let me know!  I'd love to give you credit!
This is how I store the extra batter:  See note


2 c flour
3 T brown sugar
1T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t vanilla
1 3/4 c milk
1/4 c oil
3 eggs
1/2 can pumpkin puree
Topping:  Butter and powdered sugar


Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Combine dry ingredients and add to wet.  Stir together until combined.  Bake on a griddle at 325 degrees....That's the best temp I've found.
Note:  I make what the kids will eat, then I pour the rest into quart-sized Ziploc bags (each bag contains the approximate amount of batter the kids would eat for breakfast), lay them flat and remove air while you seal it. Lay flat in the freezer. Either thaw in the refrigerator the night before, or thaw in a bowl of water the morning you need them. Allow 15-20 minutes for thawing if you're doing this.


To top our pancakes, I lightly butter them and then use our hand strainer to dust powdered sugar over them. 

Enjoy the rest of your summer!   These days will be gone before you know it and you'll be looking back at memories.  Make 'em great!

Love,
Ms. Jess

PS  If you are new to Aunt Ruthie's site, pour yourself a cup of coffee and sit back. You'll just love digging your way through her archives!





Posted by Picasa


4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Prarie Girl! When it gets unbearably hot, try and think about how mild the winters are there compared to the Dakotas!

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica Darlin'! You are a girl after my own heart! I love pumpkin time too! Like you I'm trying to look for the blessings of summer and live in the moment. That's not too hard to do when I remember how unusually cold and long our winter was! Thank you so much for your sweet-as-pie comments about my bloggity!
    God bless your darlin' heart!
    Aunt Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! I can't wait til' Fall...it's my fav. Hobby Lobby already has all of the Fall decor in with all of the awesome smelling candles..including the pumpkin, spice, etc.. so wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never to early for pumpkin! I love the idea of having some pancake batter ready in the freezer. I made carrot pancakes this week and immediately wished I had doubled the recipe. It was a lot of work, but would've been easy to make extra at the time!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!