Monday, August 15, 2011

I Love You Because...



When decorating our house, I like for our things to mean something. It needs to either be made by one of us, or something that is old.  I love this way of decorating, but it definately isn't the fastest way to fill up your house! It makes me happy to look around and think of the memories associated with each item.  Maybe it's Grandma's dish towel or a chalkboard I made with a meaningful sentiment drawn on it. We can take the time to make our homes beautiful while being resourceful.
Last week I finished a few things that were on my to-do list.  One of which was to find a way to make these. I totally love them, but they didn't really go with my house.  I just thought there must be a way I can do it with what I have.  Totally love her product, so go buy it if that's what your style is. 


I just took 2 cheap-o frames from WalMart (they didn't even match) and painted them.  Added the mat, (had those in the closet...painted them both because they didn't match either) and put a piece of scrapbooking paper in the frame.  Once it was closed up I wrote on the glass with these chalk markers. To fill in the blank, I just use a gray Crayola Window Marker.  It just sits ontop of the frame.  These are hanging on the wall you look at as you come in the house from the garage.  That's where the kids and I most often enter or exit the house. 

I also finished the shelf for under last week's project. Love how it turned out.  I picked up the unfinished shelf at Hobby Lobby for 50% off because it had a crack in it.  It's mostly for looks, so I'm not worried about how much it can hold.  I plan on hanging a couple things, but haven't found just the right items yet.  I painted the shelf with our leftover trim paint and then sanded it to distress it. 

Is it cooler today where you live?  I actually opened the windows this morning!  Fall will be here before you know it!  I'm just itchin' to take out my bins and start sprucing the place up.  Let's plan on making the most of the next couple of weeks so we can decorate without the clutter
Here's to a great week!
Blessings and Hugs,
Ms. Jess
Linking up with Heather for Life Made Lovely Monday
Photobucket
and Jen over at CraftOManiac.

3 comments:

  1. The dry erase, crayon thing is genius. Love it. The shelf is so cute. Love it too. I'm a stickler for shelves in general. And cooler? If you consider 101 down from 104 to be "cooler" :( Jealous of you and your open windows! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet way to communicate to your kids and put encouraging words before their eyes... love it! We had a few cooler days in the upper 80's last week, but we're back in the 100's today. boo! Enjoy the cool where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet. And thoughtful! Your home must be a real treasure box:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!