Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Meatloaf Meatloaf Double Beatloaf

I've never been a big fan of meatloaf. I wanted to like it. It seems like a great down-homey kind of meal.  The kind you'd remember your grandma making.  I just never found a recipe that was great.  Until now that is. Over Christmas we were on our usual pilgrimage up to Minnesota and we stopped in IL to stay for the night. We got take out from Bob Evans.  We'd never been there before and it sounded good. Jason ordered the meatloaf and it was the one of the best meals we'd had.

When we made it back home I searched for a recipe and found this one on their website.  It's pretty close and is devoured by the whole family...even the picky ones. We made it yesterday and so I thought I'd share the recipe along with a great tip to lose some of the fat. 

This recipe is from the Bob Evans website.


Ingredients: 1 lb Bob Evans Original Recipe Sausage Roll (or any original ground sausage) not pictured
1 lb ground beef also not pictured
1 cup ketchup, divided
1pkg onion soup mix1/2 cup bread crumbs I used italian because that's what I had
2 eggs

Directions:  In mixer or large bowl, combine sausage, beef, 1/2 cup ketchup, soup mix, bread crumbs and eggs.  Mix well. Really well. 
TIP:Crumple up some foil so it has can hold up the meatloaf and have places for the fat to collect.



 Place foil in pan or slow cooker. Shape mixture into loaf to fit in pan or slow cooker.

This does not look appetizing, but just wait!
 Cover and cook on low heat 4-6 hours if using slow cooker. Spread remaining 1/2 cup ketchup on top and cook 30 minutes longer.
If cooking in oven, cook at 350 for about an hour or so adding the 1/2 cup ketchup towards the last 10-15 minutes or so. I've never written down how long I end up cooking so just be sure the center is done before serving.

I don't have a final picture but we served it with Pioneer Woman's Creamy Mashed Potatoes. If you've never made these, you need to. They are the best mashed potatoes. Seriously. Make them. Your family will love you for it.

Today I'm off to dig out the guest room/craft room/extra things room.  Geesh. How'd it get so bad?!

lollipops
http://www.lollipopscards.com/2012/07/what-i-love-wednesday-no-78.html

http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2012/07/whatever-goes-wednesday-127.html

5 comments:

  1. i love A Christmas Story too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's definately a favorite around our house!

      Delete
  2. this sounds amazing, its almost the same as mine except I have never added the sausage thats probably the best part , I will try this for sure, and I went to read the mashed potatoes, oooooh my, they sound delicious,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhh! I think it's the cream cheese and the large amount of butter. I could eat them cold!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!