Monday, September 3, 2012

Catching Up and Creating a Happy Home

Happy Labor Day everyone! Were only 2 weeks into the school year but I welcomed the vacation day. I had every intention of starting the year out organized but it hasn't happened yet. After a productive morning, I feel much better!

I don't relax when I feel like things are disorganized. I get short and grumpy. There were neglected areas of the house. Things I meant to get to but just hadn't yet.  One was the mantel.  Our tv hangs above the fireplace so I don't want anything too busy.  I decided to go with a back to school theme for a couple of weeks before I make the change to fall.  I picked up some rulers and pencils and stuck them in mason jars.  For the quote, I put some pretty scrapbooking paper in a frame and used a Crayola Window Marker to write on it.  I can change the quote whenever I want!  I think this will stay.  And how easy is it to simply change the paper when the seasons change?!  On the other end of the mantel I placed a small globe I picked up at Target on clearance.

After that was done, I started decluttering.  I put things back where they belonged or threw them out. It amazed me how long this took.  When things are spread out it doesn't seem so bad, but it took me quite a while. 
I also made a trip to the thrift store to drop off some donations that were taking up space. 
 
Whew!  Much better.  Keeping your house clutter free (or close) helps so much.  If you can do nothing else, do this.  Stay up late one night if you have to and just get things to their proper places.  It will look so great in the morning when you walk out of your room!  We have a birthday this week and it will be nice to decorate with a clean slate.  After that it's time to dig out the fall goodies and spread some harvest cheer!  I'm very much looking forward to doing that!  I've been pinning some fun fall ideas here!
 
Something else I know I need to do is plan my meals.  The afternoon goes so much smoother when I actually take the time to plan what I will feed my family.  I picked up a pack of 3 notebooks at Target.  This one is for meal planning and I actually have my first week written down.  It makes grocery shopping easier...I don't have to run to the store every day to pick up something little to make a dish I hadn't planned on...and it saves money!  I know what I have at home, so I started there when planning what meals to make. 
 
This week for supper we are having:
Shredded Chicken Tacos
Cobb Salad
Baked Potato Soup
Battered Talapia
Birthday Dinner Out!
Pizza
Sausage and Greek Salad
 
I picked up a Taste of Home magazine this summer that had a number of meals we really liked, so that's where I went to look today when planning the week.  I was also ready to throw a yummy soup in the rotation again.  Did I mention I'm ready for fall?
 
 
The other notebooks are for To Do's and project planning.  I like notes.  I write a lot of them.  Having a designated place to write and keep them will help when I need to find something. 
 
 
Bake a sweet treat! Picture of Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
 
Cooking a dessert makes everyone feel loved and cared for.  We don't have a dessert at every meal or even every week but when we do it feels special.  We enjoy eating it together. 
 
Tonight I'm not making this although this recipe is pretty close to mine but I am making a recipe that is close to my husband's Grandma Shirley's recipe.  I think it really means a lot to him when I make something that brings back memories for him.  It doesn't have to take a lot of time, just a little planning. 
 
Even above all these ideas...be happy.  Our attitudes make or break the atmosphere in our home.  "If Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy!"  That's the truth, isn't it?!  It can be very hard sometimes but we have to put on the happy even if we don't feel like it.  Our kids are watching us and learning from us.  How great would it be for them to remember coming home from school to a mom who is so happy to see them?! She isn't on the phone or checking her email, she isn't cleaning and complaining about all she didn't get done during the day...she's ready. She's ready to spend time with her kids. To look them in the eye and LISTEN to what they have to tell her about their day.  She's ready to sit with them and have a snack.  Ready to connect.  Ready to make a memory.   I heard somewhere that even if we aren't thinking about it, "our kids are making a memory.  It's up to us if it's good or bad".  A sweet Mama can help make many good memories!
 
Well, I'm going to go light a yummy fall scented candle, put on some Glenn Miller and create that great feeling in my home. 
 
 
Linking up to
 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your mantel ideas!!! I'm seeing a frame like that in my future. I'm with you on decluttering that's what September is for, I can't wait to get rid of stuff! Might be stealing a few of your menu ideas! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz! Thanks for stopping by! Now go get a frame and pretty it up! I would totally love to print these quotes on my computer with fun fonts but I have a very temperamental computer and it would take way too long. This idea is fun though because its do fast and easy to change up!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!