Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Three things

***Updated with smoothie recipe***
 
My daily photo today was "3 Things".  After a trip to NJ, I needed to clean out my fridge. Hence the fridge pic.  The other two are great ideas! 
While cleaning the fridge, I found an unopened carton of yogurt that expires tomorrow.  Not wanting to throw it away, I made a large batch of smoothies and froze them in jars.  I didn't find 'freezer' jars I wasn't looking very hard, so I just used regular ones and didn't tighten the lid very tight until they were frozen.  I will just take a jar or two out the evening before we would like to have them for breakfast. 
 
It's always nice to have something made ahead!
Make Ahead Strawberry-Banana Smoothie
 
1 carton vanilla yogurt
2-3 cups frozen strawberries(slightly thawed) I heap them in my 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time just until they start to soften a bit.
2 frozen bananas
milk to thin to desired consistency
 
For the big batch like this, I put all ingredients in a large bowl and used my immersion blender to mix it all up.  Freeze in freezer jars leaving a bit of room at the top.  Allow about 10-12 hours to thaw in fridge.  I usually take it out the evening before and stick it in the fridge. Here is where I talk about how I make a regular batch.  You can use any type of frozen fruit.
 
 
 
 
My second idea. I've been doing this for a while and finally got around to sharing it.  I'm sure a million other people do this, but the day it hit me I was thinking "why did it take me this long to figure this out".
 
First off, let me say I love Scentsy.  I haven't found anything with the 'coverage' their scents have. When I say coverage I mean how far their scent reaches.  I can get away with one warmer for the house.  Two would be better, but one is good enough for now.  Candles didn't quite reach as far if that makes sense. 
 
That being said there are still some candles I really like but wanted to be able to use them in my warmer.  Usually I'll just take out my melon baller and take out a couple of scoops to put in the warmer.  Today I actually made extra bars. 

The Glade holiday candles are out and they are some of my favorites.  I picked up Cranberries and Frost at the store.  When I got home I emptied one of my bars into a Ziploc bag and labeled it.  I scooped out a bunch of the candle and let it melt in the warmer. When it was all melted, I poured it into the bar container and let the pieces cool until I could pop them into their own labeled Ziploc bag.  Now I have exactly the scent I want and I still have some candle to burn if I choose to do so.
 
I will still order from Sarah, my friend who sells Scentsy Hi Sarah! I still LOVE my warmer and the scents I've ordered from you!, but now on a day I know exactly what scent I want, I can use it either way. 
 
Have you had an "a-ha" moment lately? Any great tips to share?
 
 
 
Linking up at
 

6 comments:

  1. Could you share the smoothie recipe? Great idea-I need simething like that available in the freezer right now. :^)

    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I'll update the post. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  2. YAY! Thanks for the smoothie recipe. We are smoothie junkies around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great idea, sadly my ah ha moments are few and far betweeen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those smoothies look so amazing!!! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!