Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gettin' It Together: Cleaning Schedule

I don't know what it says about me that in order to get things done I need a schedule.  But I do. 

I need to spread the work out.  If I don't, I never feel like I'm done. Everything is on my mental to-do list.  Sure, I might have folded 5 loads of laundry  and put it all away(not likely), vacuumed AND cleaned the bathrooms; but in my head the dusting and mopping need to be done, the windows need washing, the appliances need to be wiped down and our closets need going through. 
 
If I break the work up over the course of a week and decide ahead of time what 'extra' tasks I will tackle, I'm much better off.  I can get those jobs done, check them off the list and then relax because I accomplished what I intended to do for the day. 
 
If not, I can take a shortcut and it is on the schedule for next week. One week won't hurt anyone. 
 
So, here's what I came up with.  I'm making this into a printable and putting it in my binder to be referred to any time. 
 
Daily Cleaning Schedule
 
Monday
Appliances: Wipe down every appliance.  Stove (scour if needed), dishwasher, mixer, washer, dryer, fridge...anything else you may have.
Laundry: wash, dry, fold and put away
Floors: vacuum/sweep and mop
Zone: 15 minutes for extra job
 
Tuesday
Surfaces: Wipe all counter tops (kitchen and bathroom), moving items to clean behind and underneath; mirrors; dust; vacuum and mop. Basically, clean anything that has a flat surface. Put items back in their home if they don't belong here.
Laundry: Beds
Floors: vacuum/sweep
Zone: 15 minutes
 
Wednesday
Bathrooms: Showers and tubs, toilets, garbages Aren't you glad you did the counters yesterday?  Don't you feel like you worked ahead?
Laundry: at least one load done and put away
Floors: vacuum/sweep
Zone: 15 minutes
 
Thursday
Bedrooms: straighten bedrooms as needed. Put away anything that is out and shouldn't be.
Laundry: at least one load done and put away
Floors: vacuum/sweep
Zone: 15 minutes
 
Friday
Living areas: straighten up as needed and declutter. Put anything away that shouldn't be out.
Laundry: at least one load done and put away
Floors: vacuum/sweep/mop
Zone: 15 minutes
 
Saturday
Laundry: at least one load done and put away.
 
Sunday
Sundays are for relaxing and recharging. Maybe some meal planning with a good, old movie on. 
 
 
Zone:  Pick one and work on it for 15 minutes.  Ideas include:
closets
drawers
cupboards
baseboards
door frames
carpet edges
under furniture
craft supplies
fans
etc. etc. etc.
 
There you go.  My schedule in a nutshell.  If I don't get to something, I don't stress. It will be there next week.

If you are enjoying the posts or the recipes, follow the blog so you don't miss a thing!  You can follow on Facebook too!
 
And here's another picture from today just because.
 
 
Linking up to
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. It seems realistic to follow and allows me to feel a sense of accomplishment. Nice work on the breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it works! I think it's just about tricking my mind! All the work is still there but if I assign days and tasks, then I don't feel overwhelmed.....well, most of the time! :)

      Delete
  2. Love how you have divided the zones by task vs. by room- I've tried doing this by room in the past and it didn't seem to work very well. So glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle! I tried a whole room by room schedule but that did NOT work for me. I like cleaning a little bit each day. Then I feel like there is progress and it's easier to keep up with the stuff. Family = Stuff
    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to break cleaning up into smaller jobs day by day too. This looks like a great schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you post a PDF of the cute schedule from your binder?? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to figure that out and add it! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!