Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gettin' It Together: Pantry

I'm taking the month of October to get our house in order.  Nothing crazy, just getting our house in order and running smoothly. 

I thought I'd start in the kitchen, specifically the pantry, since my family insists on being fed ever day.  Someone said the kitchen is the heart of the home.  If you're like me, that's where you spend most of your time.  It only makes sense to get things organized!  Make things easier on yourself! Enjoy the space you spend so much time in!
 
Here's what I ended up with. Sorry for the poor lighting in the photos! The pantry is in a hallway and is a bit dark. I Instagrammed them in hopes to make them a bit brighter.
Looking in.  Mason jars are a great way to organize. Cute and cheap!
 
On the floor: Extra jugs of things like water and vinegar. I use 3 drink buckets to hold bottles of water and paper towels.  Paper towels are obviously on my list for this week.

At the grocery store, I asked for a banana crate and they gave me one!  Holds cookbooks perfectly! This sits on the floor under the shelves.
My grocery list is on a clipboard that I covered with cute paper hangs in the pantry.  I just used a shower curtain hook that we weren't using. 
These buckets hold the labeled items and are easy to access for the kids...and to put things away.  For the labels, I just used regular mailing labels and painted them with a couple thin coats of chalkboard paint.  Perfect!  (I don't have a Silhouette, but would love one!)
I hung clothes pins on the shelf with some twine and this is where the kids hang up their lunch boxes. It uses some of the dead space between the floor and first shelf. 
I added some shelf liner to a lot of the shelves that either had books or mason jars.  These are my most used cookbooks and my recipe cards are stored in Grandma's cute little loaf tin. To the right, more mason jars holding bread crumbs and quinoa. 
Cute basket found on clearance holding packages.   Some old spices found at my grandmas. To the left is a big enamelware bowl that holds all the lids and bands for the jars not in use.
For now, this is here.  It adds something cute and fun, but I would rather have it in the kitchen.  There are just a few other things I'd like to do in the kitchen and this would be a finishing touch.  I do like it here for now. 

You don't need a big pantry to put these ideas into use!  You could store things in mason jars with labels.  The big things is to get a sort of uniform look. I have many different containers for storing, but the labels bring it all together. 

Linking up at
Romance on a Dime
Stringtown Home
Tip Junkie
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Sugar Bee Crafts
Not Just a Housewife
Winthrop Chronicles
High Heels and Grills



 

8 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! worthy of keeping your door open for all to see!
    I LOVE the apron, the chalkboard labels, the wooden crate for cookbooks, and the oval frame chalkboard.... OH MY!!! LOVE it!

    Congrats on a job WELL done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's about the only room the kids don't leave their toys in...most of the time! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pantry! I love how you've organized it and used labels to ensure you're able to find what you're looking for. Looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for taking the time to comment! That makes my day!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! I love all the mason jars and crates! Our current house doesn't have a pantry, and I think that the thing I miss most from our old house. Even a small walk in pantry is better than a closet (or in my case, a shelving unit in the laundry room).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I think the jars and labels would work for you too! Getting things in similar containers with labels helps so much!

      Delete
  4. Awesome job you gave me a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stoping by! Hope you have luck with the ideas! I'd love to see them!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!