Saturday, December 22, 2012

Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

I made this for all the kiddos teachers this year. Thanks to the idea room it was so easy!  Click on over there for the recipe and even a cute label to print out!  (I didn't notice that the other night) The only difference in mine is I went the easy way and just used peppermint extract instead of peppermint essential oil that she calls for. I didn't want to make another stop that day.
2 cups sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup almond oil
few drops of peppermint extract or essential oil
few drops of red food coloring of red juice (like from frozen fruit)
 
Mix oil and sugar and peppermint until you get a nice soft texture. Not too oily. (We don't want the colored sugar to run into the white in the bottle) Evenly divide the sugar into two bowls. Add coloring to one until you get the shade you like.  Now, using a piece of paper as a funnel, add your first layer to your jar or container. Tap it down so it's nice and flat. (I used the end of the handle of my potato masher) Now add your second layer and tap down. Repeat until the jar is full.
 
I read up on how long homemade sugar scrubs keep. It says they will last a couple of months and don't need to be refrigerated.  If you want it to last longer, you can add sea salt which is a natural preservative. 
 
To dress up the bottle, I just punched a circle out of Christmas scrapbook paper and a scalloped one for the label. Adding some Stickles glitter dressed it up a bit. A clear gift bag, some Dove chocolate and a little bakery's twine and we called it good! Make some as a gift or make some for yourself!
 
So, go check out The Idea Room. She has other scrub recipes too! And lots of great ideas!

Linking up to:



7 comments:

  1. I bet that smells delish! Thank you for linking up on Photo Friday and we hope to see you next year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fresh smelling! And so easy! No more paying $10-20 for it!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this looks refreshing! Thanks for linking up. I am following via GFC & Pinterest now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diana! Thanks for checking the post out and for following! Hope you enjoy your Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award:) Here's the post:
    http://www.funhomethings.com/2012/12/liebster-blog-award.html

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! Merry Christmas! Thanks for reading, commenting, and the major award! (I've been watching A Christmas Story) I hope you and your family had a blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!