Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Girly Room Redo Part 4: Closet

Hey all!  Today I wanted to share the closet we fixed up for our daughter's room redo.  It's a busy time of year and I'm just now getting around to writing up this post. 
Kids closets. Disaster. Black Hole. Totally organized all most of the time. Well, ok, maybe not most of the time either.  To be honest, the best way to describe it is: the option for organization is there.  No, just kidding.  (kind of)  Kayla is doing well keeping her closet organized. Sometimes I have to go in there and help her out, but it is quick and easy now!
Our neighbors gave us a bunch of wire shelving they were going to put out on the curb. I'd had this idea in my head for a long time so I knew exactly how I wanted to put it to use.

My hubby got out his tools and started hanging shelves wherever we could fit them. 
Added a lower shelf across the closet so she could reach her hanging clothes. We hung most of her clothes. Added a shoe rack for the floor. Stuffed friends and dress up are in large bins on the sides. Now the very top shelf has bins of out-of-season clothes, toys that aren't in rotation now and sleeping bags.
 

Added 3 shelves to the side of each end.  We measured around her bins.  The top shelf (can't see in picture) is the same height as the shelf we installed across the whole closet. The turquoise baskets hold sweaters, unmentionables, socks, and pj's.

Since I have yet to purchase a Silhouette Cameo (I would love one) I made these sticker labels.  Bought a package of name tag labels (by the mailing labels) and painted them with a few thin coats of chalkboard paint.  Vinyl would be much better, but these are working.  I'm still hoping for a Cameo someday soon! 

 
I picked up all these bins at Target. LOVE the bigger plastic ones.  We have a 'too small' bin(idea from Pinterest), one for out of season clothes labeled 'to chilly' (because you'd be too cold in those clothes this time of year), and one for 'stuffed friends'.  When the 'too small' bin fills up, then I just make a run to the Care Center and drop them off! ***I looked for the link back to the original for the 'too small' bin idea and couldn't find it.  If it's you, let me know and I'll edit this post.  Thank you.
 
We are still loving the butterflies!  If you want to see the progress in the rest of the room, part 1, 2, and 3 (butterflies).
 
Linking up to
 

8 comments:

  1. It does make us feel good to get a 'to do' project like this moved to the "done" list doesn't it.!! Great job!

    Jonell
    Like Gramma's House blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you feel good! Sometimes we are just really slow at getting these kinds of projects done! Nice to mark it off! I'm sure I'll add some baskets to the open shelf but not til after Christmas!

      Delete
  2. It is so inspirational to see someone else's neatly organized closets. I think I just need a little more dark chocolate. :-) Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I love this! One of my New Year's Goals is kids closet organization. They are clean right now, but we need a better system as everyone dresses themselves now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I just couldn't stand how the piles on the floor would show up so quickly after I had just organized their closets! I had to do something!

      Delete
  4. Love what you did with the closet! You never know what will be the thing that instills that love of organization in a child. Maybe this will be just the thing. The little chalkboard label areas on the bins are so cute and I love the butterflies too.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see little signs that I think will lead to organized kids and adults. The more they see me keep things up WITHOUT COMPLAINING, the more they will lean that way. That's my theory anyway! ( and I used capitals to remind MYSELF not to complain). Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!