Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

Since Monday was a holiday and we were all home together, I decided to try a recipe from the Our Best Bites cookbook. They have the recipe on their blog here, but I adapted it just a bit. Theirs is amazing, but has more sugar than I want to give my kids, especially in the morning.
 
Baked Oatmeal
3 cups oats (not quick-cooking)
1/4 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar ( I use a little less than 1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup skim milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup melted butter (I use 1/4 cup) (can use 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup butter)
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
dried cranberries to taste (to add in or for topping)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. In smaller bowl mix wet ingredients. Add wet into dry and mixture and stir until combined. Pour into a 9x9 baking dish (you might want to spray it first) and bake for 40 minutes or until nice and golden. (the crunchy top part is the best). Serve right away. Add your own toppings (we like dried cranberries) and add a splash of milk.
 
Enjoy!
 
By the way, I've made a couple of recipes from this book and I love it! Plus, it's so fun to read! Does anyone else read cookbooks cover to cover? There are so many great ideas! Most I'll use as is and some I'll adapt to suit our family. 

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I too, like to read cookbooks. Sounds like a delicious recipe. :-) Judy Besler

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good; almost like having a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Especially if you make the original version! But oh so good!

      Delete
  3. Yummy! I am the oatmeal queen around here. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 5 of us like it. Is there any way I could half the recipe? Would leftovers reheat ok? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect recipe for a cold, damp morning! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MmMM - I've tried baked oatmeal with blueberries. This one sounds really delicious! Thanks for sharing at Romance on a dime. Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!