Monday, February 25, 2013

Clean It: DIY Grout Cleaner

Let's talk about something gross. The grout on my kitchen floor.

I clean. I'm a clean person. How does this happen? I am not a fan of tile flooring.
 
I AM a fan of finding ways to make great cleaning products myself.  Did you know that cream of tartar has a bleaching quality to it? Mix it with hot vinegar and you've got yourself a fantastic grout cleaner!
 
DIY Grout Cleaner
1/4 cup white vinegar, warm
2 tsp cream of tartar
 
Heat 2 cups of vinegar at a time in the microwave (then wipe out your microwave....2 jobs done at once!) and mix 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 tsp cream of tartar in a small dish. It really works best warm and the liquid will get dirty fast. You'll want to change it frequently.  Now have at it with a brush. I used a tooth brush because it's just the right size. I know, I know. This isn't exactly a quick job, but you won't have to do it very often.  Sometimes you just can't beat getting on your hands and knees and using a little elbow grease. 
 
When I started cleaning the grout, they thought it looked like a lot of fun. Of course i told them it was a blast and I quickly got them each a toothbrush and let them have fun!
It didn't last too long.

After you have scrubbed, give it a quick wipe with a towel so no one slips. Once the grout drys, you will see some white residue. It comes up easily with some clean water and a quick scrub.  When you're done, mop up. I had to mop twice. The first time left the floor with a residue.  Another round with a clean mopping pad did the trick.

Check out the difference! The kids were amazed. They said it was glowing!
Much better!

 
linking up at
 

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from the Dog Days of Winter Clean It link up.
    This is fantastic! I have been trying to find an easy natural cleaner for our bathroom floor. This may be my answer. Thanks!
    -Cate from Random Crafty Georgia Girl

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!