Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Slow Cooker Barbacoa

Today it's cloudy...again...and I'm finishing up a couple of projects. One of them involves digging out my closet.  Why is my closet a black hole? Time to get it in order. 

So, knowing that I would be working on a few projects this week, I wanted to make a slow-cooker dinner last night that we can use a few different ways throughout the week.  Enter my barbacoa recipe.
 
Slow Cooker Barbacoa
 
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
6 garlic cloves
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cloves
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup chicken broth
3-4 lb roast, trimmed of fat
 
If you have time to sear the meat with a bit of olive oil in a frying pan, go for it. If not (I usually don't), skip it.
 
Add all ingredients, minus meat, to slow cooker. Give a quick stir. Cut your roast into 3 or 4 chunks and add to the pot. Add enough water to just cover the meat. Cook on low for 6 hours. about 20 minutes or so before you are ready to eat, shred the beef and add it back to the slow cooker.
 
I like to make a rice bowl with rice (add cilantro and a bit of lime juice to your pot of rice when it is cooking), seasoned black beans, barbacoa, homemade salsa, a bit of sour cream and cheese. Everyone else here makes burritos.  We will use the meat to make nachos later this week and then we will freeze the rest until we need it.

You've got to love a recipe that will take you through a few meals like this one will!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love my crock pot all year round, but especially when it is chilly outside. I am off to pin this and will put it on my menu!

    Cynthia http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And how great is it to have a big part of the work done when it's time to get dinner ready?!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!