Thursday, March 21, 2013

Easy DIY Spring Decor

 
 
The weather is getting nice, the windows can be opened to air out the house, flowers are starting to bloom...I love spring! Everything starts to feel so fresh. 
Nope, these aren't real. But they are pretty.
 
Yesterday I made a couple of really quick projects to help freshen up the house.  I picked up all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby and used a bunch of glue sticks and went to town!

I picked out 3 of these sprigs (on sale) from the floral department along with 2 foam discs to help hold them in the vase.  The Vase was found in the spring department (also on sale).
 
Just stack the discs in the bottom. They had adhesive squares to help hold them in place. To fill up the space between them and the vase I stuffed some of the paper they wrapped the vase in.  I didn't want it to wobble.
 
 

The last step was to cover the discs with sheet moss and glue it in to place. Easy enough!
 
For the second project, I made a moss topiary. I have been wanting to make one of these for a long time. Let me tell you...it was so fast and easy! You can make your own or buy the topiary. It is a foam ball on a down stuck down in a pot-looking foam shape. Fits perfectly in a pot. 
 
I chose the easy way!
 
 
This is how it looks in the kitchen. I might make one on the other side as well. Haven't decided yet. (sorry, there is not a good way to photograph the kitchen. It's just a bit dark)


First I painted the terrecotta pot so it could dry while I glued on all the moss.  Then I started piecing the moss on. I glued the biggest piece on the top and wrapped it around. To fill in the rest of the ball, just take pieces and fit them in.
  
 
add some moss to the bottom and you're done! You could paint or stain the dowl, but you don't need to.

 
While walking around I found this little chalkboard frame. It was just too cute to pass up. I used my coupon for it. There are other chevron pieces there as well. I heart chevron! ...and chalkboards. I heart chalkboards!...and grey and yellow. I heart grey and yellow!...and metal accent.....oh, you get the point.
 
 
Have a great week!
 
linking up at

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! That is what I need to do. Spring doesn't seem to be able to make it here by itself, and I'm getting weary of waiting. Always nice to have something cheery sitting on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't that the truth?! There is always a lack of cheery decor for me between January and March. I need to work on that! Hope your day is great!

      Delete
  2. Hello! Stopping by from the Pinterest Power Party. You've been pinned! My link was about a quick "springing up" of the house as well. It's that time of year! Love your taste and your decor choices here. I'm your newest follower!
    Cheers,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! I'm hopping on over to your blog now!

      Delete
  3. Love that picture frame! Im all about the grey and yellow right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liebster alert! You've been nominated! I've been following your blog and really enjoying all your posts. I hope you'll participate and pass the nomination along to other up and coming bloggers!
    Here's the link for details:
    http://frugalfreshmanhomemaker.blogspot.com/2013/03/bad-blogger-liebster-award.html
    Cheers!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some great stuff! I'm addicted to Hobby Lobby... painfully addicted. I am doing our master in grey and yellow. They look so good together! And, the topiary & spring arrangement... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Girl! I know...I LOVE me some Hobby Lobby!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!