Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies: A Heritage Recipe

Before we headed to the pool this morning, I whipped up a batch of our favorite peanut butter cookies. This recipe has been passed down and is a family favorite. There is just something about baking (or cooking) something that has a history.
Did you know that you can make the fork marks after they have baked in the oven? Never fails. I always forget to make the marks and end up so bummed when the timer goes off. 
They're peanut butter cookies! They need to have the fork marks on them!  
 
Kayla asked why. I told her, "that's just the way it has always been for peanut butter cookies".  So I pulled out the hot pan and gently pressed my fork on each one of those little babies. And you know what? It worked! 
 
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter, softened
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1tsp vanilla
2 3/4 - 3 cups flour (I use 3)
Cream sugars and butter. Add eggs, peanut butter, soda, salt, and vanilla; mix well. Work in flour until mixture will easily roll into balls. Press balls down with fork and bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. 

I take them out when the bottom is just starting to brown.

Yum.

linking up at:
tatertots and jello
six sisters' stuff
 

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I looove peanut butter cookies... and, yes! They always need fork marks! It really did work well when you added them after baking... good to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Totally works if you do it right away!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!