Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Laundry Soap That Works and Organization

I finally did it! A laundry soap recipe that actually works!  I had tried a couple of recipes, but after a month or so it was easy to tell that they just weren't cutting it.
 
Then I tried this.
 
It is awesome.
 
My life was changed.
 
Adapted from this recipe.
2 bars of Dr. Bronner's soap. I love the peppermint.
1- 4lb 12oz box of borax
1-3 lb 7 oz box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1- 3 lb container of Oxy Clean
2- 2 lb boxes Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
 
(You can easily make half of this recipe...that's what I do)
 
Grate the soap and mix all the ingredients well.  I use my immersion blender to make sure all the ingredients are mixed as well as I can get it.  I store the extra in gallon Ziploc bags.
 
**I have been used this detergent for a few months now and it is working great. I love it!  Not to be too gross....but it's even cutting through the deodorant and smell in the underarm areas of my man's shirt! 
Playing softball + Alabama heat + deodorant = funk and gunk in the pits of a shirt
 
This soap cuts through all that!
 
This is how I organize the top of my dryer.  Detergent, water (to wash off the bleach dispenser when I'm washing whites), a bucket for garbage, and an extra jar for things I find in pockets.
 
 
The only thing not shown is the vinegar I use as fabric softener (and many many other things). If you're thinking "I can't stand the smell of vinegar"...I promise you, you CAN NOT smell it. Vinegar is amazing in its ability to clean and deodorize!  Once it's dry the smell is completely gone.  My husband can't stand the smell of vinegar and he didn't even know that I had been using it for the past year on his clothes. He walked in the laundry room the other day and was shocked!
 
Speaking of laundry....I'm off to go throw in a load.  One of my goals for the week is to stay on top of the folding and putting away. Those are the parts that I get behind on so quickly.  Anyone else.....? Anyone....?

 
 
linking up at:
give me the goods
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Oooh I need to try this! Once we run out of the five-gallon tub of detergent we bought at Sams. (Not really! But it seems that big! We'll NEVER use it all.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You could use the tub to store this stuff!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to try it! And - I'm gonna try the vinegar idea... good tip! And, about the getting behind on the folding and putting away... yowzers! I'm always behind! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this recipe! Pinned! Where can I purchase the Dr. Bronner's soap? I've never heard of it...
    Following you on Bloglovin!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selene, thanks for stopping by! I picked up my soap at my grocery store, Publix. I found it in the soap/lotion area. They had a section of natural products. Hope that helps! I do know that Target has the liquid Dr. Bronner's. guessing they have the bar form as well. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I'm pinning it! Thank you so much for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much do you use per load? I made your recipe, but checked the "adapted from" recipe and in one paragraph is says 1-2 tablespoons and the other 2-4 tablespoons. We have an apartment sized washer, maybe we'll use the 1-2, but I wanted to ask just to make sure. Thank you most kindly for sharing. It was really fun making your recipe tonight! - Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Amy! I'm sorry! I never realized I forgot to tell how much to use! I use about 2 tbsp per load. Sometimes more if there are stinky or pretty dirty clothes in there. Just recently I started adding more Oxy Clean because my husband's shirts (the pits) weren't getting as clean as usual. Not sure why that happened but it's working! haveva great weekend!!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!