Friday, February 21, 2014

Easy Homemade Vanilla

A few months ago I made my own vanilla. OH. MY. GOODNESS. This could not be any easier!

Vanilla Beans. Ordering your vanilla beans online makes it easier and cheaper. Trust me. Order them.  I chose Madagascar vanilla beans because they are supposed to have a richer, creamier flavor. Sounds good to me!

Booze. You need booze. You can use vodka or white rum. We happened to have both (don't judge) so used both.   Vodka is said to produce a flavor like the brands you find in the store. With rum, you would get a richer flavor. I can't honestly say that I can tell the difference in my baking. Maybe if I baked something with each type and did a taste test. I'll add that to my someday list. Someday I'll do a vanilla taste test. 

Jars. You need to put the vanilla in something. I just used mason jars because I had them on hand but you could find cute bottles and give them as gifts.  

Ready to go.  

Split the beans down the middle (the long way) so all the good stuff on the inside can easily flavor the liquor.  Use 4 beans per cup of liquor. So....figure out how much liquor you can fit in the jars or bottles. Depending on the size of them, you may need to cut the beans in half so they fit.  Place your beans in the jars and add the liquor.
That's it.  Seriously.  Close the lids and let them sit in a cupboard or pantry for 2 months and you're ready to bake!
  
You could use your homemade vanilla in these recipes...

Salted Chocolate Drizzled Cookies
Million Dollar Cookies

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies (A Heritage Recipe)
Sour Cream Banana Bread

4 comments:

  1. I have heard of doing that, but haven't yet. Sounds like a great idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun pulling out my own jar of vanilla! Thank you so much for your comments! I don't always have time to read other blogs or to always reply, but I do try. Thanks for being here!

      Delete
  2. YUMM-O! I've gotta try it... Sounds easy enough... I've always heard there's a difference between good vanilla and what I always buy in the supermarket... This sounds like it'd be a yummy mixer, too! Add some (a lot - ha!) to a diet coke.. yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think, girl! I am picking up some Diet Coke today!

      Delete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!