Thursday, July 10, 2014

Vintage Pancake Recipe

I have been spending a good while in Nashville I feel like I should give you a proper southern greeting...
Howdy!  I hope you're having a great week and enjoying the summer weather! We are in the middle of our southern escape from the business of Washington, D.C., soaking up all things southern and small town.  Being away from Alabama and Tennessee has made me realize how much I really do love it here.  I can't believe it has been more than 10 years since we moved south!
Whenever I am at my parent's house I love to read through my Grandma's Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book from 1947.  This week I made some pancakes from it and they turned out so perfect!


Griddle Cakes (from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book 1947)

2 beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons melted shortening (I used butter)
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar
*I added 1 tsp vanilla*

Combine eggs, milk, and shortening (or butter). Add flour sifted with salt, baking powder, and sugar; beat smooth.  Bake on ungreased griddle. Makes 12-15 cakes. 

I served ours with butter and a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar.
Yum!

Using my Grandma's wooden spoon and bowls made me feel like I was cooking with her back in simpler times! I can just imagine all the wonderful family meals made with that bowl and spoon. 

Thanks so much for stoppin' on by! I love hearing from you! If you have any favorite dishes your Mom or Grandma used to make, I would love to hear about them! 

Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!