Sunday, December 14, 2014

When Christmas Needs to be Easy


Sometimes you have a year where things don't easily fall into place.  Sometimes you have a year when you don't get the stockings down until after the 14th of December although the tree has been up since the beginning of November. Sometimes you just send out the photo card without the letter to go with it...even though you know you know you will get a letter in January from a certain someone laying on the guilt about not receiving a letter.  Sometimes you have a year when your husband has been traveling like crazy, you are almost mid-way through your first year of homeschooling, and getting nervous  eagerly awaiting the arrival of your third bundle of joy.

Sometimes life is happening all around you and you are just trying to keep up with what you can. 


Something that the past few months have taught me is to accept my limits. I know that God did not create me as a person who can handle it all. In the past I would try so hard to keep up with everything, including all the extra stuff, that I would make myself and my family miserable.  I  could easily suck all the joy out of a day with to-do lists and unrealistic expectations. 

I am learning to let it go. Most of it doesn't really matter anyway.  It's totally ok that I don't have the house decorated as much as I would like. It's just fine that I didn't have an Advent calendar ready for us all to go through together until yesterday (hello 12 days of Christmas!). And it's ok that things aren't 'perfect'.

This is where we are right now.

This is who we are right now. 

We are a family who is so happy just to be together for the beautiful normal.

Normal is beautiful. 

The everyday is beautiful. 


This Christmas season, it is ok that you don't do everything. Focus on spending time together as a family and filling your days with joy. Look for the beauty in the normal.  We go through different seasons of life.  Sometimes we can do more, but sometimes we need to embrace that we simply can't.  Being filled with joy is so much more important than all the other stuff.  



Keep the decorating simple.


Plan some fun activities. Singing carols, watching movies, making an easy batch of cookies, a game night with popcorn or a root beer float.  Pick up a peppermint shake (yum!!) at Chick-fil-A and drive around looking at Christmas lights. 

If you don't make it to all the different activities around town, I promise...it will be ok. They are going to remember the laughing. The fun they had dancing and singing to Christmas carols. How they got to decorate the cookies any way they wanted while you smiled and told them how great they looked. They will remember being with you.


My favorite quote (from the Nester) is this:
"It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful".

It's true. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this Jess. You put it together beautifully. Christmas isn't about the hustle and bustle that we create. It's about the beauty and hope that the baby Jesus brings to us. Relax and enjoy where every you are in your life at this special time of year.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!