Thursday, April 23, 2015

Happiness

We are finally in a normal stretch of life...for now. It seems like that changes quickly.  This past year has been so crazy and has gone so fast.  It is so easy for us mamas to look ahead. We feel like we always need something different. We need to get to the next stage or past this crazy season. We need to do all this stuff that so and so is doing. And do it all perfectly.  We get caught up in the 'if I could just..., if I only had..., if only my home..., if only my kids..., if only my husband..." mindset.  If only (this) then I could breath deep.  Then I could relax. Then I would be happy.  

In my search for perfection, I am missing today. I have decided that my now isn't good enough as I reach for the next thing.  

I will consciously choose today. I am here for a reason.

My sweet baby will only be a baby once. He will never grow younger.  

My 9 (almost 10 year old-wishing she was 14) year old daughter will grow up.  Someday she won't want me to sit by her and scratch her back in the morning. 

My about-to-be-7 year old son won't ask me to sing to him at bedtime when he is scared or worried about something.  I know that day is coming. A lot faster than I want it to.

Today I am going to sit down with my kids and really listen to them.  Look them in the eye and let them talk. I will play with them. I won't say "just let me finish this first". I'll listen to what their voices really sound like. Make a mental note of what their sweet little hand feels like in mine.

I will live this quote:

Happiness, not in another place, but this place... Not in another hour, but this hour.  -Walt Whitman

1 comment:

  1. We had some friends over for dinner tonight, and she played a song for me - it is an older song, but tonight was the first time I had ever heard it. It is called, "She's Somebody's Hero". I cried like a baby in my kitchen. If you've never heard it, you need to go to Youtube and listen... sweet babies change in a moment's time, and you are right where you need to be, doing exactly what you should... Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!