Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Freedom in the Imperfection

Yesterday was a hard day.  

Bickering kids who couldn't keep themselves from touching each other. School was not going well.  Not our worst day, but definitely not our best. My husband was out of town and I was tired.  

Telling the kids (probably not so nicely) to STOP TOUCHING EACH OTHER for the 84th time that day put me over the edge.  My good mood wasn't coming back. I tried, but each time someone whined, cried, or talked back, I let myself answer from a place of complete frustration.  

I wasted almost an entire day with my sweet kids being frustrated by everything they did. 

Later, I took a video of Kayla dancing in her recital dress that we picked up earlier in the evening, and posted it to Instagram with a short caption about the freedom that kids feel.  We went inside for dinner, showers, and bedtime. Prayers with the kids were even a struggle. I just wanted the day to be over.  Everyone needed to go to sleep so I could have some time alone. 

I prayed for God to shut my mouth.  I prayed for Him to speak in His kind way to the kids when I knew I couldn't.  I prayed for Him to comfort them when I felt my compassion was low. 

I sat on the couch with my phone. One of my new Instagram buds, Amber, from Let Love Invade, posted a quote that said "Give it to God and go to sleep."

Then I ate some ice cream, watched a cooking show and went to bed. 
This morning I woke up thinking more about Kayla's video.  All day today I have been thinking about how it can be so hard for me to relax just enjoy my kids. I took a pic of a frame in the video and posted it on FB.

I love this image.
I see the freedom that she feels.  What if we, as moms, let go a little bit? Our days aren't perfect. So many things don't go the way we think they should. 

But what if that's the point God is trying to make?

What if we didn't worry so much about the to do list or the errands or the (fill in the blank)? What would we do or create? What would it look like to our kids? What if we SHOWED them that we love our lives...because we do! We are so blessed to be mamas to our kids. God has trusted us with them.  He trusts that we will show them how to live.  

Even in the imperfection. 

Especially in the imperfection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day when you take the time to leave me a quick note!